"Except for the point, the still point, there would be no dance, and there is only the dance." ~ T.S. Eliot in "Burnt Norton"

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Richard Dawkins, the Reason Rally, and Teeny, Tiny Chameleons

There have been a few things in the news recently that make me happy. Here the are:

The first is an article by my friend Adam Mann, whom I mention here a lot because he works for Wired.com as a science writer. Anyway, here is his article about teeny, tiny chameleons which just makes me smile quite a lot. Here is the picture that appears with that article:


We can add these guys to the list of why I love science and nature and why that is something profoundly spiritual for me...also, they are just totally adorable.  My class has recently been discussing Darwin's The Origin of the Species and when I look at these little guys the last lines of that text echo in the back of my mind: 

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone circling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being evolved."

The second thing that makes me happy is this article about Richard Dawkins over at npr.org, which more or less sums up how I feel about him: brilliant evolutionary biologist, poor religion scholar...and not particularly nice.  It's nice to see that someone else thinks the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment